Introduction to Public Policy
Jul 9, 2023 - Sep 15, 2023
Spots remaining: 0
Enrollment is closed
Add yourself to the wait list and you'll be notified when a spot opens
Full course description
Introduction to Public Policy introduces participants to a wide range of content, from the structures of the U.S. government to the factors that influence policymaking. Participants examine theories of political engagement, policy design, legislative strategy and policy implementation. Emphasis is placed on health care policies and the role of the nursing profession in the policy process.
Please note that Introduction to Public Policy includes synchronous meetings for virtual live discussions, wherein participants must attend two of the three options listed below:
- Tuesday, July 25th, 2-3pm CST
- Tuesday, August 8th, 2-3pm CST
- Tuesday, August 29th, 2-3pm CST
Participation in these discussions is mandatory in order to receive a Complete grade for this course. If you are unable to attend at least two of the three discussions, please do not enroll in this course at this time.
At the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Understand the legislative process and how a bill progresses through the state legislature, from introduction to passage.
- Identify possible barriers and pitfalls to successful legislation and how to address the opposition.
- Recognize essential elements of a well-reasoned input designed to influence state legislation and policy based on critical analysis of an issue.
- Recognize effective social and media platforms, infographics, fact sheets or other educational materials used to educate and influence decision makers regarding a local health practice problem.
- Examine and distinguish between effective legislative strategies, such as coalition building, grass roots, effective testimony, etc.
- Identify key individuals and/or stakeholders that can influence legislators and/or provide testimony.
External Awareness, Envisioning, Policy Development & Political Savvy
Instructor(s): Tracy Zvenyach, PhD, MS, RN
Course Dates: July 10 - September 1, 2023
Delivery Method: Blended
Cost: $50 | Free for Members
Pathway: Public Policy & Legislation
Program Credit: 1